Saturday, October 3, 2015

Mobile Phone Generations

I still remember that gold time my parents allowed me to own my very own phone.  Looking back now I must admit it was pretty hilarious.

 

First, my Nokia would have been the subject of great teasing had it survived this era. Second, the phone itself would have made most of us cringe, specifications wise. But to me that time I was instantly hailed the ‘cool kid’.

 

Nokia was just a rising brand, and owning a phone equated to becoming an instant celebrity. For a fraction of a moment I was a star.

 

The operating system was simple. The graphics could match up a regular calculator. The basic functions include mechanisms for texting and calling. The earliest form of the Snake Game could make you occupied for hours. Its Space Impact was pretty interesting. It was the one that introduced me to take gaming very seriously.

 

The battery lasted for days. The body was bulky, but the frame could be changed according to your preferred taste. Mine was sea blue. I could toss it in every possible way and it would still work like nothing happened. It was one of the phones I owned that set my standards for quality phones. One day I decided it was time to lose some weight, I was looking for weight loss supplements while going to the bathroom and I dropped it in the toilet… a few grains of rice and it was good as new!

 

After the Nokia, a mirage of phones came and went on my hands. A Sony Erickson flip phone was my first alien phone. It had a silver casing, and the Penguin Game held me for hours. The graphics were quite advanced. Next came a tiny but bulky Motorola, it was pretty good for communication purposes. I lost it at a small blunder in the beach.

 

I never realized it swam with me. The Motorola phone made me weep for technology the first time. Another Nokia with the most amusing games installed came next. I kept on losing it because the body was so thin and it could go into the tiniest cracks and crannies. Now my mother and I share a ridiculously large Samsung.

 

Though the generation of Iphone and Blackberry killed the era of simple graphics, white backlights, and keypads, one cannot take them for granted. We have to constantly remind ourselves that without the early and somehow monolithic proofs of humanity’s advancement in terms of technology we may never have enjoyed what we have now.

 

The era of keypad large phones may now be gone, but they are the founding fathers of our touch screened gadgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment